IRVINE, Calif. - Jaguar North America today reveals details of its eagerly anticipated new sports car – the all-new 2007 Jaguar XK.
Making its world premiere at the Frankfurt International Auto Show in Germany, the all-new Jaguar XK will go on sale in North America next spring as a 2007 model year product.
The all-new Jaguar XK is the first of a new generation of cars that reflect the best of everything that Jaguar is associated with – from gorgeous, contemporary design to renowned craftsmanship and quality, alongside the latest driver-focused technologies – and, of course, exhilarating performance.
Light and agile, the all-new Jaguar XK accelerates faster, stops quicker than the previous generation, steel-bodied XK8 and has exceptional dynamic abilities, as Jaguar's Chief Engineer Mike Cross, explains: "The XK may be the epitome of sporting elegance but it is also a true driver's car in which we have managed to combine a very special balance of superb driving dynamics and comfort."
Traditional Jaguar craftsmanship elements have been retained on the all-new Jaguar XK, but it's the use of aerospace technologies that have resulted in the most technically advanced Jaguar production car ever created.
One of the key elements of the all-new Jaguar XK is the use of latest technologies including Jaguar’s industry-leading aluminum body structures and rivet bonding techniques, both recently introduced in the construction of Jaguar's full-size XJ sedan. Both techniques make the XJ sedan significantly lighter and stronger than its competitors, which benefits handling and fuel economy.
Jaguar design director Ian Callum describes the XK as having 'clean lines, a purposeful stance and exquisite proportions'.
"The fundamental values of Jaguar design do not change," explains Callum. "We took influences from our heritage and evolved them to produce a car that is beautiful, visually fast yet undeniably modern – just as Sir William Lyon's (Jaguar founder) own designs were in their day."
The all-new XK is manufactured and assembled in a state-of-the-art production facility at Jaguar's Castle Bromwich plant in the West Midlands region of the United Kingdom.
ALL-NEW JAGUAR XK AT A GLANCE
- All-new Jaguar XK 2+2 sports coupe
- First of a new generation of beautiful, fast Jaguars
- The most technologically advanced Jaguar production car ever
- Succeeds the previous Jaguar XK coupe/convertible range introduced in 1996
- All-aluminum construction forms a lightweight, incredibly stiff and strong car (31% stiffer than the previous generation steel-bodied XK)
- All-new XK coupe is lighter than its predecessor and key rivals, at 3671 lbs curb weight
- Delivers a balance of superb performance, driving dynamics and Jaguar sophistication
- Intuitive controls and driver-focused technologies – such as keyless entry, push button start and active lighting – enhance driver enjoyment
- Spacious, elegant sports car cabin exemplifies Jaguar craftsmanship, luxury and quality
- Launched with latest generation naturally aspirated 4.2-liter Jaguar 'AJ-V8' engine, developing 300bhp (SAE)
- New Jaguar Sequential Shift 6-speed automatic transmission system incorporates steering wheel-mounted paddles for manual gear changes
- Reaches 60mph from standstill in 5.9 seconds and completes quarter mile sprint in 14.4 seconds – less than half a second off the pace of the previous 390bhp supercharged model*
- Top speed of 155mph (electronically limited)
- On sale from spring 2006, with prices announced at the beginning of the year
- Convertible model will also be available – details will be announced later this year
*Manufacturer provisional test figures
From its beginning as a manufacturer of motorcycle sidecars in 1922, Jaguar Cars has grown to become one of the world’s premier manufacturers of luxury sedans and sports cars and with that, one of the most recognized commercial brands. The company's vision is simple: To produce beautiful fast cars that are desired the world over. The company operates two manufacturing plants in the United Kingdom and is fully engaged in environmental programs, community work and brand awareness exercises such as motor sport.
Jaguar offers a four-model range of luxury sedans and sports cars packed with fully competitive technology and safety systems wrapped up in stylish bodies. The X-TYPE premium compact sedan is the company’s first all-wheel drive model combining unmistakable Jaguar looks in an affordable, sporting package. Entry to the Jaguar range via the X-TYPE costs just over $31,000.
Jaguar's mid-size luxury sedan is the S-TYPE distinguished by styling reminiscent of the original Mark 2 and S-type sedans. Positioned above the X-Type in size and price S-TYPE ownership begins at less than $45,000. The flagship XJ sedan has been the cornerstone of the marque since 1968 and is the definitive Jaguar. The 2005 XJ is the most technologically advanced car the company has ever built, using aircraft-style aluminum construction for lightness and strength. It is also the longest and most spacious Jaguar offering a selection of long wheelbase derivatives in the range. The XJ range starts at just over $62,000. The XK series, including the XK8 and XKR coupes and convertibles are Jaguar's sports cars. They combine high performance with luxurious interiors and grand touring capability. Pricing begins at just over $70,000. An all-new XK range will be introduced from spring 2006.